Your app currently targets API level 27

I get the following warning when uploading to the Google Play Store and I’m wondering if this is something that Dropsource fixes possibly on the back end:

Your app currently targets API level 27 and must target at least API level 28 to ensure it is built on the latest APIs optimized for security and performance.

Interesting. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. We probably need to make an update on our side but you can fix this on your end in the mean time.

Here’s some resources showing where to adjust this in Android Studio.

https://www.google.com/search?q=android+studio+update+api+level&rlz=1CDGOYI_enUS593US593&oq=android+studio+update+api&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l3.4686j0j0&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

—-
@nate_frechette heads up, we might need to update the api level on Android for project minimums.

Will watch to see if it resolves itself after the dropsource team addresses it within the back end.

Justin, With engineering pushing hard on the next iteration of Dropsource at this time, I don’t think this update is coming soon. You’ll want to make the manual change in Android Studio so you can move forward.

I made this change and it broke the app on pages where a map view is being used so had to revert back.

Is there a different trick?

Can you show the error you’re seeing or zip up and attach the app project with instructions to draw out the MapView error? I’m not sure how to troubleshoot without seeing what you’re seeing and having the project to look into it deeper.

Yeah, I will do my best to get the original zip file. I am not the developer making the change or uploading the app is the issue…

Can engineering support the current version and upgrade it? This way i can provide a build ID and it should also address the map view error.

When we reverted back to the old api level there weren’t any issues and everything worked ok again.

If I can see the error, I can produce my findings to engineering and see if we are able to make the internal changes in the current product. We’re fully engaged in building out the new product so when it comes to updates and maintenance on the current product, it’s a case by case basis at this time while our small but dedicated engineering team is heads down in the new version of Dropsource.

I haven’t been able to retrieve the zip file from the other developer on this @wade

But in any event, I just got this warning from Google Play:

"This is a reminder that starting November 1, 2019 , updates to apps and games on Google Play will be [required to target Android 9 (API level 28) or higher.

After this date, the Play Console will prevent you from submitting new APKs with a targetSdkVersion less than 28."

And it goes on to list my affected Dropsource app…

Given that this is an ongoing need for everyone, can you please ensure that this change is made before November 1st to the back end so that we can continue to export and import APK’s for android to the google play store?

As of November 1st as it stands right now we will no longer be able to configure or upload an APK from a dropsource Android application.

I’ll check with Engineering on this. In the meantime however, you can do it manually.

In Android Studio, open your project and go to the build.gradle file. Here you can set the Target SDK Version (api version) and click sync and Android Studio will make the update. Do that step before you submit to the Playstore and you’re all good to go.

Yeah it is certainly only a few steps…

But it breaks the app is the issue with respect to the Map View.

Something is inter-linked i assume and conflicting and I am unqualified and lack the necessary experience.

Can we get a confirmation that before November 1st this issue will be addressed in the back end?

As of November 1st no dropsource customer will be able to submit an update to the Google Play Store.

I’ve alerted engineering and am awaiting instruction, guidance, and a timeline. I’ll update as soon as I know more.

Thank you very much for sharing this important requirement adjustment on the Android side and how it’s effecting certain elements within Dropsource apps.

To follow up… I saw the discussion thread you currently have going with Engineering so I added an insert reply there as well so they understood the context was with you as well here. I’m not able to make a definitive answer here but they are so I want to make sure all parties here are aware of this time-sensitive requirement.

Thanks for bringing this forward.