What Does This Mean When Uploading To Android Store?

I have V1 of an app that I recreated in drop source as a V2.

I see this when I try and upload the signed APK (i think it has something to do with the previous version):

You uploaded an APK that is not signed with the upload certificate. You must use the same certificate. The upload certificate has fingerprint:

SIGNATURE

and:

and the certificate used to sign the APK you uploaded have fingerprint:

SIGNATURE

and:

Your APK or Android App Bundle needs to have the package name io.appery.project488623.

How do I get by this?

I don’t know the developer who originally uploaded V1 of the app…

Nor do I have any knowledge of how to upload this latest V2 release so that everyones phones update automatically. I think I’m doing that part, but worried without these “fingerprints” I may not be able too.

@Nate correct me if I’m thinking of something else but if I recall we had this issue in a similar spot before with a customer replacing an old app with a new app and he was hitting the same issue…

If another developer deployed an app and you essentially created a new app as the V2, there’s a Signed APK Key that you need to get from the previous developer so that you can make the new source code overwrite that previous app, like it’s just an update.

Without that Signed APK, there’s no way to tell it to overwrite an app in android.

So the same file that I export from Android Studio to upload into the Google Store is what I need from V1 (the current release) in order to tell Google to update the current app?

What do I do when I have both APK’s?

The Dropsource documentation doesn’t outline what it takes to update an application. Only to submit a new application under a new project.

Lastly, once I’ve submitted either a new project or an updated app project to the store, is the best practice to google drive the APK file to save it for anything else we export from Dropsource and overwrite what’s in the Google store?

I have not done this before so need to understand what I need to do to preserve what we have and also update anything else we develop on this project in the future. Thanks again @wade you’ve been a great help this project.

Justin, these are good questions and I’m not exactly sure the best practice situation here. I’ve flagged @nate_frechette to aid in his more expert engineering practices for the processes involved in updating Android apps as well as from 1 prior apk to another 1 when it was a prior developer working on it.

I want to check and see if there is an extra file needed for the proper updating of an existing app on a device. I feel like there was a private key or something that helped Android link a updated APK with a prior version so it overwrites an older version instead of installing a brand new app so to speak.