New Flutter Platform / Transitioning from Legacy

Hello,

I’m a new user and it’s my first post on the forum. I read the update from Nate about the new platform coming out. I would like to get started building but I am wondering if it just makes sense to wait 2-4 months until that new platform comes out, or whether I will be able to transition my app over to the new platform from the legacy platform when the time comes? Will a lot of the dropsource fundamentals in the tutorials and help center apply to this new product, or again should I just wait to learn? Any help appreciated!

Best,
Jonathan

​These are great questions and I will answer as best I can but just know it’s early days in this new Dropsource platform so much of the details are still in decision and timeline phases.

I do think that learning some about building an app using Flutter/Dart would be helpful as our platform is going to produce Flutter/Dart code instead of Swift/Java so if you want to wait to make sure you’re not doing double work, it’s not a bad idea if you have the time and in the meantime, learning to build with Flutter/Dart will help you work with Dropsource code in the new version as well. Sounds like a logical strategy to go I think. I hope that helps with your decision making and your unique timeline needs as well.

Lastly, I don’t have a timeline for initial launch of the new platform yet so I can’t confirm if it will fall within the 2-4 month estimate you guessed but as soon as I have more information, I’m going to pass it here so definitely keep an eye out.

We’re stoked that you’re excited for this as well. We’re really excited and working hard to bring this forward as well.

Hi @wade thanks for your help on this! I understand the eventual language of the source code is going to be different, but I was referring more to the core dropsource platform and all of the tutorials and FAQs and guides that you have set up right now in the help center. Are the core fundamentals around how dropsource is built going to stay the same, such as how to structure an API request in the dropsource platform, going to stay the same fundamentally, with perhaps new functionality through flutter/dart, or would you suggest that I don’t even spend time on reading the legacy dropsource platform walkthroughs since the new platform may be fundamentally different? Basically what I’m asking is if I should even bother reading the following article: https://help.dropsource.com/docs/documentation/using-dropsource/connecting-to-an-api/

Second, could you explain a little more why I would need to learn about flutter/dart code since I plan to build everything in your platform, and to be frank I don’t envision taking my code outside the dropsource platform eventually? And what do you mean when you say learning to build with flutter/dart will help with dropsource code in new version as well? My assumption is that you use the same terminology that flutter/dart uses in its language in your platform but package it more succinctly and at a higher level so I would still need to know what those terms mean?

Sorry if these sound like newbie questions, but I’m entirely new to the platform so just trying to get the hang of things.

Nope, not newbie questions at all, @jonathan. These are all great questions that I don’t have very good answers for in this middle area phase of eventual platform upgrade but I do have a recommendation. I’d get into Dropsource now. You’ll be right here with everyone else building on our platform and we’re all here to work together and support each other. So I’d read the Api guide in our help documents and other documentation that helps you make the app you envision. We’re not reinventing the wheel when it comes to core coding fundamentals so when it comes to things like integrating an API and passing information through it, the established concepts remain the same regardless of platform or language.

The reason I suggested learning Flutter/Dart is because that’s what the new platform writes, like magic, while you drag and drop elements in a more visual way. However, if you have some knowledge on the language we’re writing in, you get to extend the app beyond what’s capable in our platform. Dropsource does a lot but there are infinite possibilities in software development and as we try to support the most relevant features first, there are always exciting, less used, features that can be added to a project that are more contextual to the needs of each individual apps use case. That’s why I suggested some literacy of the languages your dropsource projects are writing in the source code for you. But with that said, it’s certainly not necessary. We’re making this fundamental language shift because Flutter/Dart for many reasons but 1 of the largest is to allow for cross-platform development. 1 Dropsource project can be built and run on both iOS and Android devices, which eliminates a ton of double work and overhead for you. I’m personally incredibly stoked for that adjustment to app development strategy when it comes to building with Dropsource.

My recommendation is if you’re ready to begin building, dive into Dropsource now and get a good feel for our ecosystem. We will have much more info on the next version of Dropsource as we get to release.

Hi Wade thanks for the very detailed reply this makes a lot of sense!