Integrating Backendless push notifications into a Dropsource project

Hey guys, here’s a little tutorial on how to add Backendless push notifications into your Dropsource app. This one is for Android since it is a bit more involved, however, doing it for iOS would be rather similar with the same benefits.

There is also a blog post with detailed instructions.
Hope you will find it useful. Let me know if you have any questions or run into any problems.

Thanks for producing this amazing walkthrough, Mark! This is an awesome integration and pairing of Backendless and Dropsource.

I think it will even be better if Dropsource could integrate the Backendless push notification natively so developers doesn’t have to edit the source code.
Looking at the changes mark made in the source code i want to believe it shouldn’t be hard for Dropsource to integrate the Backendless push notifications.

I really like the way Backendless allow easy customization of the push notifications so would be nice to have this natively supported in Dropsource.

Absolutely agree @seanhoots, it would be great if we could provide an integration to make this functionality available without leaving the Dropsource editor. In the new year our engineering team is hoping to explore some potential integrations with Backendless to make building apps with the two platforms more seamless. @markpiller’s guidance and experimenting is not only a help to people working on their app projects, it’s also identifying potential use cases and functionalities we could focus on supporting going forward - we’re very excited to see where this collaboration leads!

@markpiller can I send notifications using triggers from workflows that I make from dropsource.

when I send a message to my friend from an android application, a notification will be received by my friend. whether notifications like whatsapp, can be done by backendless?

You can send push notifications using our API. The API can be invoked from anywhere where you can make an API call in Dropsource.

This is a really good point mark and something I learned through my app developing career. I learned that I would search for something to provide the exact answer in the exact context that which I needed it to be, aka, someone did exactly what I needed, before me. I found that I would spend a load of time searching and finding things close to what I wanted but not exactly what I needed. Eventually, I would grow impatient and just take one of the solutions and mold it to my needs.

This concept is good to understand. We as app developers are no different than any artist. We have tools that others before us have created but it’s our creativity that figures out how to use those tools in a way we need for our specific app or artwork. When I think about what Backendless can do with Dropsource, I know the 2 things it can do is related to this question is:

1 - Send data to it and tell Backendless to react to what I sent.
2 - Send push notifications through Backendless

At that point, the developer in me now knows "I can tell Backendless something and it will respond with a push notification.

I’m not calling anyone out at all here but offering a bit of what I’ve picked up along the way in my journey that pertains to this question and many others. When we need to do something particular in our use case, an excellent approach is to break down our specific need to its core elements. Once I have the core elements, or tools, at the ready, it’s my job to mold those tools to accomplish my task.

Mark, thanks for working so actively with the Dropsource community. You are a valuable member as well and I love how much our 2 tools combine and can be molded to accomplish so many use cases when it comes to mobile app development.