[Resolved] Sending images to and getting images from Bubble to Dropsource - Edited

good @jparker - were you able to complete the POST eventually?

since you unchecked the ‘run without authentication option’ you also need to remove the empty ‘security’ obiect from then ‘paths’ section:
“security”: []
}

I’m not an expert here but I guess that the empty object (as found for login) is telling Dropsource to perform and anonymous call.

HTH
Mario

Hi @mariob , unfortunately no I haven’t. I’m getting build errors without anything in my todo list now and the only suggestion is to contact the support team. They’re out till Monday so I’m just going to have to wait.

So far I haven’t been able to successfully create anything in my bubble database from dropsource. I can manually create in bubble and it will show up in dropsource via the GET api call but thats the only luck I’m having.

To fix my errors I’ve gone back and just started deleting all the most recent steps I’ve taken but it didn’t solve my mystery build fail so I’m going to wait for support to contact me back before I make too much of a mess.

Hi guys, feedback noted on the photo save tutorial. One of the reasons the Swagger workaround for the image wasn’t mentioned in the tutorial is that it’s really intended to let people try out Dropsource without having to worry too much about setting up their own backend, but I can certainly put a note in there explaining this for anyone who goes on to try implementing it in their own API.

One other thing to mention about the API I used for that app is that in order to display the images returned from the API in Dropsource using the Display Image from URL action I had to add a little processing to my Bubble workflow for posting the images, to include “https:” in front of the URL - this is my workflow in case it helps anyone else:

Display an image or list of image from Bubble
[Resolved] Help Displaying Images from Bubble API backend

I think there are many people like me that serisously want to use Dropsource for our projects and not to just try them out. And for most people they might already have a backend (say a bubble application) and they want to use Dropsource to create the UI and connnect to it. So i think it will be supper helpful to mention all the steps in the walkthrough examples you provide (which btw are really amazing).
Research have shown that one of the best ways to learn a new thing is to do by example. That’s why many people are trying to recreate the examples you’ve provided and when some steps are not mentioned it leaves to dead end and frustration.

This is a good example of what i was saying above. I spent about 2 days trying to figure out why my images wont show. Even after 3 hours with one of your Chat support we couldn’t figure it out and he told me he will get back to me. I just figured this out on my own last night and was even planning on putting a post about this.
It’s really important these things are mentioned else it makes dropsource unuseable.
Currently Dropsource is almost like a blackbox. When a build fails you have no idea why it did. Sometimes too a build will be successful yet still the app doesn’t behave as expected or crashes on some actions.

Most importantly i think users shouldn’t have to be doing these kind of pre-processing of data. One of the most powerful benefits of model-based code generation is automation of mundane tasks like this.
Bubble for example made it super easy by automatically generating the REST endpoints. But with all these pre-processing one has to write their own endpoints.
In this case i think Bubble (@emmanuel) should include the protocol (https) part of the url when saving images in the bubble database so that users can easily use the GET endpoint without having to write a new workflow endpoint.
I will also suggest Dropsource internally handle image urls if it doesn’t contain the protocol part.

Thanks

Hi @seanhoots - I hear you on the tutorial, however I’d just point out that it’s a tricky balance deciding what to include in a piece of content and what to leave out, because if you include every required detail a resource can quickly become overloaded and therefore less useful. What we try to do is decide on the scope of each piece of content up front (linking to supporting info in some cases) and iterate based on user feedback.

It’s also worth mentioning that although some people are clearly trying to recreate the apps in the tutorials including the backend part, what I’ve found is that most people are not actually doing that - typically people use an example app tutorial exactly as it stands to learn the platform (precisely because it saves them the hassle of setting up a backend just to try Dropsource out), then when it comes to their own data they focus purely on implementing their own use case which is obviously different to the tutorial. However I can absolutely add the details we’ve discussed above as notes in the photo save tutorial.

In terms of having to carry out preprocessing etc on data, this can be frustrating for sure, but ultimately Dropsource is focused on integrating with other platforms for user data, and as I’m sure you’ll understand we can’t control how those other platforms work (and they all work a little differently), all we can do is provide the means to use that data as far as possible and give our users guidance on integrating it with our platform - but each use case is unique and our guidance will never cover all of them… Sidebar: imo integrating Bubble and Dropsource is generally very quick and easy compared to the alternatives.

It’s typical of the way much software is made these days that each platform is focused on supporting one part of the story, so to some extent issues integrating different services are to be expected. However we will always try to lower the barrier to getting an app built, and to that end we’re currently exploring a range of additional data integration options you’ll hopefully see in future versions of the platform.

Regarding build fails, the development team is currently working on improved error reporting to make it easier for users to diagnose issues and get on with building their apps.

How would I get a list of images from Bubble using this method? It’s confusing. I have datasource >> string in the API tab of Dropsource. Even if I use Display URL in the events tab, I get an error that states I need to bind the string api to a child element, but we are trying to retrieve images…

Hi @jjob32,
I’m not sure if you’ve already seen this tutorial but if you haven’t it explains all the steps.

If you’ve already looked at it and you have some specific issue let us know.

We also have a tutorial that just covers displaying images from an array:

Hello,
Is someone has an “easy” solution to upload a simple picture profile from dropsource to bubble?
Do we still need to modify the JSON file from Bubble?

I am trying to follow @jparker process.

I opened mine, and there is even not a post-picture line

Many thanks for your help

Hi @LOIC, the “post-picture” line comes from naming an API workflow “Post Picture”. Does that help you understand what you were looking for?

Many thanks, you are right

I know quite well bubble, but not the API and I am also starting with drop source, so I am missing some obvious point :slight_smile:

Edit : I succeed to regenerate the JSON file, uploaded with no error. but when I start the application, I have a message the Bubble application stopped as soon as I try to upload a picture

Edit 2 : no more error, the API seems working, but impossible to see the picture in bubble database, there is a ? instead of the picture
I try to build an Android app…52 builds so far to try to upload one picture…

Many thanks for any suggestion

@seanhoots

Thanks for starting this thread some time ago (and for surviving the frustration) while the rest of us benefit.

I’m a little stuck though and I’m not clear on if your example answers my question. Here goes:

I’m trying to create a list of transactions in Dropsource (like a global newsfeed), by pulling dynamic Transaction Thing data from Bubble so I setup a Table View with a Table Cell in DS. As part of each Transaction’s Cell View I want to display an image of the seller, so I set it up in Bubble that when a new transaction is created to generate the URL of the seller’s profile picture (since I learned DS doesn’t deal with files, only URL).

I tried to post an Image View inside of a Table Cell that’s inside of a Table View List… but that doesn’t appear to work. Do you know about how to work this?

I wish Dropsource could deal with image objects as if I was able to just drag and drop “Seller Picture” from the API GET call response list and bind it to the Image View, that would make life much easier.

Hello, after 85 builds and 3 days and less hairs, I finally succeed to upload pics to bubble DB !

many thanks for the tuto and this discussion, never felt so happy to see a picture in a small box on my screen!

@marktuff, I made a request to display the pictures I upload from dropsource, and it works , but if I try display the picture uploaded via bubble app, it does not

It seems the existing pictures in Bubble can’t be displayed as they are, they need to be transformed in URL first ( is someone can confirm that ?)

Yes if your images in bubble doesn’t have the https: in front they won’t display in dropsource.
I belive it has been discussed extensively in this thread and other threads in this forum.

An alternative to adding the http: in bubble is to use the String Append action in dropsource to join the texts https: to the URL retrieved from bubble.

Thanks, the String Append solved indeed the problem

Nice @LOIC happy you are making progress! I know how you feel! I thought I would make tons of progress this weekend, and for some reason cannot seem to be able to do a simple display my data on DS. Might start a separate thread on the topic.

As @seanhoots mentioned Bubble produces the image URL’s without the “https:” and instead it starts at the “//” part. Not sure why they do that, but @sue had posted her workaround where she simply added into her Bubble workflow the “https:” part into the expression field right prior to the URL.

e.g.
Seller Profile Pic = https://s3.amazon
with the “https:” being a static entry by you, and the rest being the dynamic URL data from Bubble.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

@sue? Am I missing something elementary again.

Yes this is possible and i’ve done it before.
Did you already see this tutorial?

@marktuff, yes it is possible I did it as well, that’s how I did if it helps,

When you say, " I want to POST an image view" you mean: I want to GET an image in the table cell , right? if I understand well, you want to display from bulle to dropsource .

Have a dynamic list on your page, then put a dynamic list tile in it, then put the picture of the seller, and other fields you need

On Android
-create request GET/obj/Transaction and link the responses to the field in the Dynamic Title,
-Dynamic Tile on event properties "on the load: run API GEt/obj/Transaction
-on 200 event of the the GET/obj/transaction , Get image from URL, and assign it to the image field